Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The ups and downs of chemo

I look forward to the days when I have chemo treatment because I know that I am attacking the cancer with every drip from the IV. I tend to feel better during and the days right after getting treatment. But about 3-4 days after that...watch out. I can't really explain the feeling that I get, but it just makes me feel...down. Its like a bad case of the "blahs". My guess is that the feeling mirrors what it must be like to be depressed. I don't feel sick really, I just feel like lying down all day and trying to wish the day away. I literally can just lay in bed and sleep all day just counting down the moments until the next day arrives which will bring me closer to feeling somewhat normal again. Of course it won't be 100% normal, but as normal as you can be on chemo. I think some refer to it as "chemo fog" or "chemo brain." I think fog is a good descriptive word to attach to the feeling. At least the feeling doesn't last for weeks at a time...then I would have to get some medication involved! Ultimately, I think I have said it before, but just in case you forgot, Chemo sucks.

7 comments:

Vex said...

It's all about making compromises and just think, some day soon, you can tell chemo to 'go sit down somewhere' Oh what a glorious day that will be!!!

Anonymous said...

One day at a time...

Sharon said...

Hi Gail, My Love,

I just heard the news...You're the strongest person I know. I'm praying for you. I pray that you kick this thing...Hang in there kiddo. We love you!

Sharon

Sweet D said...

Hi Gail!!

I just heard the news myself and I'm shaken!! I'm inspired by your blog and know that will inspire others. God is good and I will pray for your recovery!! You can beat this!! Be blessed!!!!

Angel said...

Hi Gail!

It is great to talk to you after all this time. I did hear that you were having some health issues but now I know the full extent. I want you to know that you will remain in our prayers and that we love you dearly! I know you will beat this and that God will prevail in the end. Debrian told me to tell you hello. And just so you know...I wasn't bored to tears! Your candidness is very heartfelt, and I was actually inspired by your blog. You seem to be in a good place and that is great to know! When you have time, please forward me your mailing address. You can send it in a private message on facebook.

Love,

Angel and Debrian

Darlene said...

does anything help curb the blahs besides time?

zetagirl said...

I'm with vex on that!