Thursday, March 12, 2009

Results and more waiting

Today was the day for scans to see if there had been any recurrence of the cancer. I did a bone scan and a CT scan of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. And the results are....well mixed. The bones are "stable" so that means there is no change, which is good. The chest was also clear. And then there was the liver. So the last time I had scans, it showed that there were only a few very small (less than 1cm in size) lesions still in the liver, but because there were so small and so few I was able to go on a break from chemo. This time around, in addition to those lesions, the tests also showed a few additional ones that were even smaller in size: less than 1mm in size. So one of two things happened: either these spots were there the last time but the machine didn't pick them up or they are truly new growths. The official report says: "Mild disease progression with several new subcentimeter hepatic lesions"...I mean why they can't just speak English!

So next steps...well we moved up my next ct scan to 6 weeks from now so we can keep an eye on these spots and see if they are growing. If they are then we can talk about therapy at that time...I was told that I would be on some different chemo drugs than I was before....lets hope for less puking please!!

The next BIG thing is the MRI of the brain that I will be getting next Friday (3/20) If those tests are clear then we are clear until the next CT scan. If they are not, then it will be back on treatment to take care of the brain and these small lesions. So once again we are back to waiting to see what happens. The only one that knows what's next now is God as he holds all things in his hand. So I will just fall in place and take what he gives me...which I know whatever it is is for the best. HOWEVER sometimes you can't just help but get a little scared. But no worries...I will man up in time! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stable is good!!! Let's keep pressing forward and hope for the best.

John Calvin said...

All praise be to God for He has done great things, and will continue to do great things for you. What is truly praiseworthy is not so much the healing of the cancer as it is the maturity in grace that i am seeing in you Gail. I thank the Lord for His steadfast love and faithfulness! Love you Gail