Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hit the Ground

Well as I always say that if it isn't' one thing its another and again that has not changed. I have recently come to find out another great side effect of the steroids that I am on: extensive lower body weakness!! So basically I would say I have lost about 50% of my strength of my lower body strength..all my leg strength. I physically have to move my legs to get them started now and make sure I grease them up to keep them going. I have also had the wonderful experience of having my knees just give away and end up on the floor. The worse part is that once I am on the ground I can't get back up at all...its as if the legs totally turn to lead at that point and don't want to move. So I need assistance to get all the way back up in order to walk again.

So Dexamethasone strikes again with its effects. I am just hoping at some point I can start to ween off the drugs and gain back some strength.

What needs to happen is CANCER OUT THE BRAIN!! So lets keep praying and focusing on God's will to see what happens. He has and will always be in control and his will be done! Maybe this Telador will be the drug that makes it happen.

In the interim lets see what physical therapy and Wii fitness can do to help regain strength!! Go Yoga and Strength Training!! You actually get a good work out from it!

7 comments:

Daria said...

I've been on Taxotere and Dexamethasone for 11 months now. I experience the weakness in the lower back and legs ... and have had my legs give out on me.

How did you find out that it was the steroids that causes the weakness?

Unknown said...

you have a pool nearby? can you swim? maybe some low impact or no impact floating aerobics might help a little.

MomtoLaylah said...

Let HIM be your legs, and your leader----HE can do it! I know he can, I know he will---you just stick with it, and tell your brain to tell your legs to move. We miss you very much and love you very much, Planning to come see you and go to the barrel for big food. KIT-Robbyn

Darlene said...

Wii Fit is awesome. I agree with Sandra that some low impact aerobics maybe good for you, but we know you weren't necessarily a strong swimmer before so I don't see you getting in a pool. :) haha maybe a reclining bike? honey, i wish there was more we could do than encourage you and pray, but my mother keeps reminding me that there is no greater weapon than prayer. I am trusting God to keep you and heal you.

Sue Basone said...

Hi Gail,
Finally on your blog :-) Wondering how you are today - Tuesday. The weakness in your lower body must be so frustrating! I've been trying to wrap scarves around my head like you do and not quite looking as sophisticated as you do. Well...I'll keep trying :-)
Smiles,
Sue

Vex said...

Will keep praying. Your will and determination with God's strength, you can do it! Just hang in there :)

Hua said...

Hi Gail,

Wii Fit is a great idea. Hope it helps you to regain some of your strenth.

I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients).  I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at Wellsphere.com/health-blogger.  Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you!  The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua