Saturday, January 10, 2009

Another Test...for the Testimony

Although I am on a break from chemo, I still have to get maintenance drugs every 3 weeks. So on Thursday I went in to get my fix of Herceptin (for the cancer) and Zometa (for the bones). My nurses and counselor at the Cleveland Clinic are excellent by the way. So I mentioned to my nurse that I have been having some small headaches ever so often and it had been happening since the beginning of the week. The docs and the nurse always say please tell them about any aches and pain that I may have...just to be safe. So they scheduled me for an MRI of the head for that same day...just to be safe and make sure everything is Kosher. If you have read my earlier entries you know that I absolutely HATE the MRI machine...but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Early Friday morning my phone rings. Its always a bad sign if your doctor calls you early in the morning to give you test results. This call proved that point. The MRI shows several "lesions" in the brain...the cancer has spread to the brain. Devastation, Hurt, Sadness, all these emotions at once along with tears after hearing the news...but I try and remember that God will give me the strength to get through this.

With the initial shock over, I meet with the Radiology Oncologist and listen to the detailed diagnosis and treatment plan. Seems that I have several "lesions" (aka tumors) in my brain so our best bet is whole brain radiation. After listening to the details and the list of possible side effects, I get mapped for my radiation treatments. What they do is make a mold of the head/face and then they map out where the radiation beams will hit on the mask so when you come they are always hitting you at the same spot. The mask will also make sure your head is completely still when they do the procedure.

So I will get 15 sessions of radiation. And the thing with radiation is that it continues to work after the sessions are done. Radiation itself is only like 10 minutes and is painless. It's the side effects that are problem with radiation: fatigue, hair loss, skin changes, headaches, nausea, and hearing changes...and those are the short term effects. Just when I was getting use to my nice, soft, chemo straightened hair, here comes radiation to zap it away. Oh well, that is the least of my worries! Bottom line is that God is in control no matter what happens, and he once again will get me through this. He has never forsaken his children and I know he wont leave me alone.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Gail,

So sorry to learn about this devastating illness you have, but there are ways you can recover from this. Cancer is not terminal, it can be reversed. Conventional medicine (pills, chemo, radiation, etc.) is not going to make you any better because they more than likely return, spread, or end your life. Turning to an alternative approach is better such as natural resources....please read this link that I will place below and purchase the e-book that I honestly believe will make you cancer-free.

http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/

Another link that is good is with Dr. Mercola:

http://www.mercola.com

http://search.mercola.com/Results.aspx?q=cancer&k=cancer

Please, I beg of you to take the time to read these links and take action to get your health back again. I do not want to see your life ruined because of this.

Take care and hope to hear good news from you again.

Diana said...

Hey Gail, I'm really sorry to hear this news but I'm glad to see that you haven't lost your faith and trust in God. You are absolutey right that he is in control and he will get you through this. Your strength is amazing (it really is). Where others in this situation may drown in the trenches you have certaintly taken a more positive approach...my philosphy is positive thoughts promotes positive results.

Know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Ifuela said...

Gail,

A few months ago your blog was forwarded to me and I have been checking for updates about twice a week. I have never said anything because I felt that there were no words to convey what I wanted to say. Since I began to follow your blog, I can attest to the fact that your faith has never waivered. I know that it has been said many times before but you are a strong and remarkable woman. You persevere each day with a positive attitude and have made your life a testimony. God bless you!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Gail, you are amazing. you just stay strong, keep you faith and trust in The Only One that we know is able. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't give up. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! Tears came to my eyes too upon reading your latest entry. Girl, keep up the good fight, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! and I will continue to pray for your well being. LUV YA!!!

yaadgyrl in philly said...

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Cat said...

Gail,

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Your spirit and attitude are inspirational. You are touching lives and helping people every day. Take time to do things that bring you joy and relish the people and things around you. They are LOVE!!

Vex said...

And this too shall pass... But you already know this.

zetagirl said...

Hey my darling! 'Member me? As you stated, God will not leave you alone. Your Faith is amazing to me.HE will carry this for you, you hear? So try not to worry that pretty little head of yours. God bless and you remain in my prayers (I'm still smarting from the fact that I didn't get to come with Vex to see you lol!!!)

Ifuela E said...

Hi dear

God is a good God, and if he brings us to it, he sure will bring us through it. Seeing the faith that you have I know that you will overcome this sickness. Continue to hold on, to keep the faith and in Gods' own time your change will come.

Will continue to pray for you and may God continues to bless you and heal you.