Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Radiation Routine

The countdown is on...four more days for radiation treatment and then we can close the chapter on these sessions. It is hard to explain what going through radiation is like...well brain radiation, but it has been an experience. One of the most ummm..."interesting" parts of this experience has been the van rides that have been taking me to my daily radiation. The Cleveland Clinic provides a great free service that takes patients free of charge to and from radiation treatment . However, given where I live, I am the first patient to get picked up and the last person to get dropped off. So we are talking over 6 hours of just sitting as patients are picked up and dropped off.

My actual radiation sesions are at 12:15 every day and last for less than 5 minutes...really quick sessions. So the daily routine goes as follows...wake up, drink some tea, take the first dose of steriods at 8am. Read some scripture and try and get the mind right before dragging on some clothes to get ready and meet the van. Meet up with the van at around 8:40am and get settled for a few hours of driving. Arrive at the hospital, take the second dose of steriods at noon. and then wait to get seen Get the radiation and then wait to get back on the van for some more driving. Arrive home at around 4pm....or earlier if your lucky.

Not the most fun of situations...but at least it is almost done!! And I guess i could be more sociable with the older folks that ride the van...but I think they think i'm shy...or quiet or something....everyone knows how shy I am! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you are almost over the latest hurdle set in your path. Keeping you in my prayers always!!!

Myrnat said...

It's almost over, you're always in my prayer!

zetagirl said...

Hey Chica! Wow, that ride sounds fantastic (sarcasm;)Are you able to get any good reading in?My radiation treatments were just about 8 minutes from me but sometimes the waits were long(yeah,the actual treatment was short lol)It's amazing the people you get to know and the stories you hear. I'm glad it's almost over, sweetie. Hang in there! God bless.

Unknown said...

Ok I am happy it is almost over but Gail shy. SHY really the only person i know less shy than you is Robbyn and she tries to tell me all the time she is shy.

Anonymous said...

Just keep pressing on. You can do it. In my heart and in my prayers. We love you.