Thursday, September 25, 2008

What is Chemo like?

Right now I am at the hospital getting my chemo therapy. Every 2 weeks I get chemotherapy once a week. So as soon as I get here I have to get some blood drawn to see if my counts are high enough for me to have therapy that week. The main counts they care about are the white blood cell counts (what fights off infections in your body). They check other stuff like red blood cells, platelets, and some other random things. If they are looking good then we can proceed to killing some cancer. First I get pre-medicated with some anti-nausea drugs and some other medicines to keep me from getting reactions to the drugs. Then we start it off with Herceptin, which is suppose to be a big breakthrough drug for cancer. Then we keep it coming with the real chemo drugs, first Taxol then CarpoPlatin (or something like that). When its all said and done about 4+ hours have passed as you sit having the medicines pumped into your system. In my case its all pumped into my chest via a Power Port. Trust me, the minor surgery to put in the port is nothing compared to not having to get pricked and prodded on the left arm over and over to try and start an IV!

Chemo isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Some of the side effects are nausea and fatigue, but I will take that if it is killing the cancer! Normally I feel good right after chemo, and then a few days after that is when it can go slightly down hill. What can be really bad is if you get a reaction while the drug is being administered. I have stopped breathing, had the shakes and have felt like I was going to blow up all as reactions to the drugs...but again I am doing a lot better now! I guess the body eventually gets accustom. But to those that have witnessed a reaction they know it is no joke!

9 comments:

Thickness said...

I am so proud to have you as my cuz. You are such a strong individual. In spite of the obsticles that are before you, you seem to rise above and stay strong. You know that I'm always and forever will be in your corner.

May our Heavenly Father continue to keep his mighty hand on your body and take care of you.

Hugs, love and kisses - Thickness

John Calvin said...

I am so thankful to God for what He is doing in and through Gail during this most difficult time. He has been so gracious to her and she has responsed with much gratitude to the one who has redeemed her front the eternal disease of sin.

I have watch you Gail over these past months, and you have grown so much in the grace and knowledge of God. Your faith has grown, and you love for Christ is so evident. I encourage you to continue to Rest in the arms of the Everlasting God, and to show the world that God's strenght is made perfect in your weakness, and that Christ is bigger than cancer and that whatever happens nothing can separate you from the love of Christ.

My pray is that the Lord will heal your body, and give you the grace to endure this momentary affliction. May Christ dwell in your heart richly and trust in Him for all things. Cast your cares on Him for He cares for you. Until my next comment. May grace, mercy, and peace be multiplied to you Gail, and you know we love you very much, but God loves you more!

Unknown said...

I am so happy you are blogging. I hope it is helping you as much as it helps all of us who love you feel comfortabel

zetagirl said...

Hey Wonder Woman! Forgive me for commenting on most of your posts, but you are such an inspiration and I'm so glad I was directed to your wonderful blog.While I'm dwindling towards the tailend of my 'journey', I sometimes(very rarely) forget how blessed that we are and just seeing how you deal with this shows me how truly amazing you are!!!

Khalilah said...

That power port is totally wicked! It looks like some Iron Man type stuff. Our very own Iron Girl, Iron Chic,Iron Woman...okay that's all i got. Nausea sucks. Shakes, blowing up? mercy... You Rock babygirl!

One Love.

Khalilah

Tanisha J Penn said...

Hey Gail
You know, there is a particular brand of courage that God has given to each and every woman. The Almighty is "our refuge and strenght, a very present help".

Peace,
Tanisha J Penn
CAHS Class of '97

Darlene said...

Hey pumpkin - The power port is freaky but thank God they dont have to prick you a zillion times to find veins. You flashing me to show it off isn't bad either :) haha If anyone can go through this with strength and courage it's you. Keep your spirits up and your head to the sky.

Love ya!
dee

dapperd said...

Wow you got that port in ya. But whatever makes the process more easier I'm all for. Hang in there IRONic woman and you know we'll all be here during and after you beat the C-devil. Love ya!

dapperd

yaadgyrl in philly said...

Warrior Gail..

I continue to be amazed by your strength. Everytime I email/instant message/text with you, you're always in good sprits. Hats off to whoever coined the phrase God never gives you more than you can bear. You're a true inspiration!!!!