Saturday, April 25, 2009

The MRI revisited

One of the first blogs I have ever written is about the horrid MRI machine. Which still ranks as one of the most absolute evil machines that was ever designed! Since that initial encounter, I have had a few MRI sessions, much shorter than that first 2.5 hr one and I have found a way to manage. It is all about finding that mental spot to hide in and just wait out all the noise until you can once again free yourself from the grip of the devil machine! Ok. Well today I had a full spine MRI. I had been feeling like my back is getting "achier" and I want to make sure that the bones are not starting to act crazy. Well somehow, throughout the barrage of tests and other events that I have been battling recently, I must have forgot that a full spine MRI is like a 2 HOUR MRI. Something that I would have wanted to mentally prepare for! Well I wasn't prepared so hence I had to fight the battle of Gail vs. the sounds/attack of the MRI. I am still around to write this blog so you know I got through...but boy oh boy that junk is no joke. I started with a good plan: slow calm breathing, eyes closed, birthday celebration options on mind: all things to keep the breathing stable, the mind steady and the body totally still. For most of the time it worked. But when you just loose a smidget of concentration you can through off your entire focus and then its a matter of trying not to panic in that small space...which is really hard to do! You don't want to move and then have to retake pictures...that just extends the torture, but you don't want to have a panic attack in there either. Once again to another test I can just say Praise God its over and keep it moving!

3 comments:

Vex said...

well u didn't mention u can get SHOCKED... I must be the only person who got shocked while getting one of those things... I feel u on that. that thing is horrid!

Anonymous said...

Okay, keeping it moving!!!

Dave Glende said...

Hummm... I got shocked yesterday. Not a fun thing. Wasn't told not to have my hands crossed across my lap :-(.