Monday, April 13, 2009

Super Duper Cancer

Met with the doctor so have alot more detail on what is really going on. So as you know, I recently had whole brain radiation and I had the scans on March 20th to see the progress...and the progress was good. Only like 2 tumors were left and they were smaller. Well I got the report of my emergency brain MRI on Friday and in under a month those tumors have already started to grow again and now there is cancer in the fluid around the lining of part of the brain. So it seems that I am not a candidate to have breaks from chemo or any type of therapy! It seems that this cancer needs to be battled at all times.

So now I am looking at a new type of chemo combination which is all pill form: Tykerb and Xeloda. Tykerb is similar to the Herceptin that I was taking and Xeloda is the actual chemo therapy. Tykerb will be 5 pills in the morning once a day on an empty stomach. And then Xeloda is about 1/2 hour after that after a meal in the morning and then again in the afternoon after a meal...3 pills each time. The biggest side effects I am looking at are diarrhea and this thing called hand and foot syndrome where its like your hands and feet to itch and burn and can get really red and painful if left uncontrolled. So time for prayer on side effects and just good tolerance of these drugs. Its late so before my great grammar skills start to hit the toilet I will call it an evening and continue with the post later!

7 comments:

John Calvin said...

God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the LORD by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence,
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding ev'ry hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flow'r.

Blind unbelief is sure to err,
And scan his work in vain;
GOD is his own interpreter,
And he will make it plain.

John Calvin said...

. Sometimes a light surprises
The Christian while he sings;
It is the Lord who rises
With healing in his wings:
When comforts are declining,
He grants the soul again
A season of clear shining,
To cheer it after rain.

2. In holy contemplation,
We sweetly then pursue
The theme of God's salvation,
And find it ever new:
Set free from present sorrow,
We cheerfully can say,
E'en let th' unknown to-morrow
Bring with it what it may.

3. It can bring with it nothing
But he will bear us through;
Who gives the lilies clothing,
Will clothe his people too:
Beneath the spreading heavens,
No creature but is fed;
And he who feeds the ravens,
Will give his children bread.

4. Though vine nor fig-tree neither
Their wonted fruit shall bear,
Though all the field should wither,
Nor flocks nor herds be there:
Yet God the same abiding,
His praise shall tune my voice;
For while in him confiding,
I cannot but rejoice.

Tammie said...

I'm speechless. I hate cancer with a passion. I guess the only thing we can do is remain positive and claim minimal side effects in the name of Jesus. Big hugs and Blessings!

Roxanne said...

I have just discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I am battling stage 3 breast cancer and am praying for you daily. I know that God has a purpose in each of our lives. Thank you for sharing your faith along the way.

Alli said...

Dear Gail

I also just discovered your blog. You are an amazing beautiful woman. Not just outwardly but your strength and warmth come shining through.

I will keep you in my thoughts, say a prayer for you and hope to send some positive energy..

I always say if you get down and out, have a bowl of soup!! Comfort food for the soul!!

Alli....XX

yaadgyrl in philly said...

I'm super duper frustrated and annoyed with this darn cancer already...but I refuse to loose faith. Prayers and virtual hugs...

Anonymous said...

A scripture I read today and thought might help boost you up on those really bad days. It's from 2 Corinthians Chapter 4 verses 16-18.

So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.

Keep the faith girlfriend and believe in the healing power of prayer. Luv ya!!!