Friday, June 5, 2009

Test Scans and Shingles!

I had my 3rd session scans...you know the scans you have to take each time to ensure that your counts are high enough to continue the chemo. This last scan my platelets and potassium levels were low so I was "assigned" to take some of those wonderful potassium pills to try and build up my levels and then retest this week. I was still allowed to continue chemo so at least I didnt have to posptone any treatment. Normally I don't just not take my meds but just the thought of those pottasium pills was just to much so I just endulged in bananas and gataroade and that seemed to do the job. Got back my retest and my levels are back up to a level where they feel comfortable..so if they are good with it then I am too!

But something new I have noticed are these open sores that I have mostly on the right side of my body. I explained them to the doctor and she says that it may be shingles so I have to monitor them and make sure that they don't get any worse. Well so far they don't seem to be expanding but they sure can hurt...open sores will do that I guess! But really, is it just me or am I the only one that thought that Shingles was like an ancient disease that didn't even exist anymore!! Like scurvy or something. LOL Well I was wrong!





Next set of Scans to see progress: JUNE 16!!
Lets pray for some GOOD NEWS!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Open sores!!! Ouch!!! Hang in there girl...

Brenda Odovichuc said...

Up in Alberta we call those potassium pills Horse Pills - they are huge!
I'm praying for some good news for you too!

Unknown said...

NO elderly and people with weak immune systmes get Shingles all the time. It is the same virus as chicken pox but a different mutation and very very painful I hope that is not what you had

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! I added you to my blogroll, Cancer Blog Links. Also...n invitation to you and your readers to participate in the Being Cancer Book Club. This month we are discussing “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch. “...the lecture he gave ... was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment (because “time is all you have…and you may find one day that you have less than you think”). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living.”
Monday is Book Club day; Tuesday Guest Blog and Friday Cancer News Roundup.
Also check out Cancer Blog Links containing almost 200 blog links and Cancer Resources with 230 referenced sites, both divided into disease categories.
Please accept this invitation to join our growing cancer blogging community at www.beingcancer.net
Take care, Dennis

WhiteStone said...

I've seen the horse pills while in the hospital and since I was dealing with ilius I refused to take them. So they gave me liquid potassium. Ugly Stuff! However, the potassium I have at home is a small round pill called Klor-con 10 meq. Not expensive either. So if you need to take potassium, ask your doc or pharmacist if you can get it in the smaller tablets.

WhiteStone said...

Hi, Gail, I came over from Daria's blog. I've been doing chemo for ovarian since February. Needless to say I'm hairless, too. Love your sense of humor and good outlook. Will keep you in my prayers. Bless you.