Thursday, June 4, 2009

Birthday Celebration- The great parts!


Hey Everyone! So its been a while since I posted and wanted to give you an update!! May 23rd marked my 30th birthday and also my first year post cancer diagnosis. And what a year it has been. Around this time last year I was already in the hospital and I believe I had already had a lumpectomy and they figured out that I was already in Stage IV cancer: metastatic breast cancer that had spread to the liver and bone.

Well this year I really turned it up a notch and decided to get as much friends/family that I could get to come out and enjoy the weekend with me. And boy did it work out! This memorial day weekend all in all about 14 of us headed out to Key West and just took it all in for the weekend. Thursday we drove down from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and it wasn't a bad drive. Thanks to the steadfast drivers Alfino and Mike for getting us down there and getting us around while we were there. And shout outs to our personal navigation systems of Khalilah and Aesha and whoever was directing in the other car because they sure got us to each of our locations...or to parking when we needed it!

Friday we lived it up like some tourists and walked around the area checking out the city...and the sale at Nine West!! Saturday was the great beach excursion where we enjoyed snorkeling, jet skiing, kayaking, parasaling and overall just chilling on the boat and enjoying the heat and enjoying the company. I must say we were looking fabulous and we had tons of fun! Sunday we hit up Denny's like old college times ( and the long kitchen wait) and then head back to Ft. Lauderdale where that evening we head out to Blue Martini and enjoyed some appetizers, music, cake and friends we hadn't seen in forever...that I hadn't seen in forever! Speaking of cakes...did I mention that over the weekend I had THREE cakes! Thanks to my girls Harmony and Myrna...those cakes were the BOMB!


I must say this weekend was just another example of how God has been so good in my life that he gave me another year and brought out so much people to help me celebrate. Just to show that there are many out there that care. Sometimes that's all you need to know... that there are people that care!

I wonder whats in store for the next year of life!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a terrific birthday. You deserve the best! XOXO

Daria said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

What you year you have had ...

Sounds like a great long weekend ... wish I was there ... family and friends, sun, fun and water.

All the best to you ...

Brenda Odovichuc said...

Happy Birthday!! It is so much fun to pretend one is in college again. Love the dress!

Where I live we had a threat of frost last night and its June - the scenary of Florida looks much more appealing.

Praying for another life filling and healing year for you.

Your Canadian sister-in-Christ,
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures Gail!!! Especially the cakes and you look wonderful!!! I can only hope my 30th birthday will be half as much a blast as yours. Luv ya!!!