Wednesday, June 17, 2009

When you back hits the wall...again!

Hey Everyone! So lets get straight to the dirt: the new chemo treatment plan: Tykerb and Xeloda is NOT working. The spot in my thoratic spine T9 has increased from 4mm to 7mm and other than one spot in the brain that has actually went down slightly, the rest have shown some progression. So right now we are just looking at it as one: cancer in the central nervous system because its in the spinal cord fluid and in that lining of the brain all around in the back there (ha great usage of grammar right there in that sentence) I have to read the new report and get it straight in my head so I can explain it better but this is how I understand it so far. As of yesterday I have been informed to stop the Tykerb and Xeloda so I am officially on NOTHING. So I have to see if they will put me back on good ole Herceptin or not. Now, lets celebrate the things we can...my liver, chest, lung the lower back (with all its collapsed discs and stuff) are all stable so no new changes there which is GREAT! Its just of course one of the more important organs that need to stop acting up: the BRAIN!

The stop of chemo is of course because its not working and also because I am now looking at this clinical trial that is in phase 2 of the trial period. Its for candidates where they have brain mets and radiation and other chemo was attempted but no good response. So I guess that is my next option! You have to have been off treatment for a few weeks so I guess this will give me a break from the big pills that I have come to get use to swallowing every morning! The trial is by IV infusion I think once every 3 weeks and the biggest SE is diarrhea so Imodium apparently will be my best friend! I have to read through the material and see if this will actually be a good fit but you know when you are down to limited options you have to see whats out there.

3 comments:

dapperd said...

Finding the right alternative (natural)medicine may be the answer!

WhiteStone said...

I'm in a clinical trial for another type cancer (ovarian). The trial may be a good option for you. Blessings to you.

Darlene said...

Hello Dear -

How are the shingles? Do the docs think those will ease up soon? Thank you for being so candid and open in your posts. Listening to you makes the rest of us have to man up!